Date:      Fri, 24 Jan 2020 16:49:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      Doug Denault <doug@safeport.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is this just the way it is??

On Fri, 24 Jan 2020, Polytropon wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Jan 2020 13:22:36 -0500 (EST), Doug Denault wrote:
>> I recently undated my laptop and desktop to 11.3. The laptop around
>> Thanksgiving and the Desktop in January. I came across an application to
>> replace one that was changed in the 11-rel tree with no way to convert a
>> database without the old version. Which programs really do not matter to my
>> question.
>
> Sidenote: FreeBSD version 11 is on its way to EOL. In case you perform a new
> installation, you should probably use version 12 (the latest release of that
> branch), except you have a good reason to use older and (as it will become)
> unsupported version.
>

>> On the desktop, the new package installed and just worked with no issues. It
>> turns out this program can not be run on my desktop via an ssh tunnel. So I
>> thought I would just install in on my laptop as I am 1,000+ miles away.
>>
>> The package installed fine again no issues. When run however the package
>> wants Qt5.13.2 and Qt5.13.0 was installed. Again fine, just compile the
>> program.
>
> That indicates some problem. When you install something via pkg, the
> dependencies _should_ be correct, i. e., if a program requires Qt as a runtime
> dependency, and Qt is not installed, it will install the exact version needed,
> in your case, 5.13.2. In the package sources, the newest version should be
> present anyway, and 5.13.0 numerically is the older version.
>

>> Oops
>> no option to accept the installed Qt and the build failed anyway. Okay no
>> program, just upgrade Qt5. It turns out doing that will upgrade firefox
>> thunderbird, add a 3rd version of python and upgrade about 1/3 of the 550
>> packages installed.
>
> Yes, because all programs linked against the older version will now have to be
> linked to the newer one.
>
> What you see looks like a version mismatch of ports and packages. An old
> problem. If you want to use both packaged software _and_ your own compiled
> software, you need to make sure that _before_ you start, you have the most
> recent ports tree ("portsnap fetch extract").
>
>> So is this just the way things are? Relative to python, I'm 99% sure
>> python36-3.6.9_1 works just as well as python36-3.6.9_3 or python37-3.7.6. I
>> thought (hoped??) the with recent change to package/ports would result them
>> not being this tied to sub-sub version changes.
>
> Exactly my observation. In my message "FreeBSD updating experience"
> dated Thu, 19 Dec 2019 18:15:47 +0100, I wrote:
>
> * quote *
>
> If I install the Midnight Commander, both Python 2.7 and 3.6 get
> installed, with several modules, each in the 2.7 and 3.6 version.
>
> Some user-facing "normal" application (whose name I forgot) will install gcc,
> even though no compiling takes place, and the program itself is not related to
> any kind of programming. I think it was something like pdftk that installed
> [...]

Not really, at least with python, as per /usr/ports.UPDATING. I understand all
this. My question was/is all this really necessary. The answer seems be be not
with python. I pondered about Qt as that is a pretty basic component in a GUI
environment. In any case I think having to essentially rebuild my workstation to
install a utility to store passwords is not something that should be defended. I
can slide to 11.4 when the time comes.

I appreciate all the comments and information. I have information as to going
forward with my obsession of using FreeBSD as a workstation.

Doug

_____
Douglas Denault
http://www.safeport.com