Date:      Mon, 15 Nov 1999 11:56:48 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Byung Yang <freebsd@nowcool.dhs.org>
To:        relapz <relapz@purefusion.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: snd0

Yes, I've tried the "newpcm" sound driver.  Before ppl started modifying
pcm drivers, pcm0 was the best driver for my sound card, but then after
this newpcm came out, it started crashing all over the place.  That means
when I play mp3 or sound files, the player program freezes(not freebsd
itself) and i had to kill it using -9 signal.  The audio gets messed up
after that. (I have to reboot to bring it back to normal)

One question for you guys.  When esd is in the memory, isn't it supposed
to hog up /dev/dsp ??  The thing is, even if esd is in the memory(it loads
automatically when gnome enabled programs run) I am still able to play
mp3(using xmms) and other sound files(including realplayer).
Has anyone experienced this?

Byung