Date:      Sat, 09 May 1998 09:36:45 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tera.tera.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, kline@thought.org
Subject:   Re: gcc quandry

Gary Kline wrote:
>         One solution would be up upgrade to gcc 2.8.X, but
>         the note about this latest rev being buggy have
>         me a bit concerned.... esp'ly since I frequency
>         mod my kernel.
>
>         Has anybody seen significant bugs with the latest
>         gcc?

No, but there are some caveats.  The exception code in 2.8.1 still isn't
world-class, though it is better than 2.7.x by a long shot.  Also, you
didn't mention if you tried to compile the code without optimization,
etc.

Since you can install gcc-2.8.x in /usr/local and not conflict with the
standard compiler or any other installation, you have little to lose
(other than a few megs of disk space) in trying the newer compiler.
You may want to try 'egcs' as well, although it looks like the 1.1.x
releases are going to be much better on FreeBSD.