Date:      Thu, 2 Dec 1999 18:54:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>, Tom Embt <tom@embt.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: upgrading/CVSUPping with bad ISP connection

On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> I used mergemaster, and saw all these directories being created that i
> didn't want.  I guess i should have read the docs or tried to configure it
> first.

	Hmmm.. there is a thought. :) If you'd read the docs you would
have known that it was only creating directories in the temp root
environment that it creates to unpack the files it's going to compare your
installed copies to in. Mergemaster _never_ touches your live files unless
you tell it to.

>  And of course i will back everything up.

	Good man!

> So, what does -CURRENT have in it that makes it so exciting right now?  Or
> do you just need it for development purposes?

	If you haven't been following -current development closely this is
a REALLY bad time to jump in. There are a lot of new and improved bits in
-current, like nfs, vm, linuxulator, etc., but unless there is some bit
you really need, AND you are willing to cope with a broken system, don't
go there. With 4.0-Release coming in January *crosses fingers* if I were
you I'd wait and get in on the "gamma testing" phase, and help whip 4.0
into solid shape once your feet are wet with it.

HTH,

Doug
--
"Welcome to the desert of the real."

    - Laurence Fishburne as Morpheus, "The Matrix"