Date:      Sun, 7 Jul 2002 02:46:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jeff Roberson <jroberson@chesapeake.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Cc:        cvs-committers@freebsd.org, <cvs-all@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/tools vnode_if.awk

On Sat, 6 Jul 2002, Jeff Roberson wrote:

> jeff        2002/07/06 23:39:37 PDT
>
>   Modified files:
>     sys/tools            vnode_if.awk
>   Log:
>    - Use 'options DEBUG_VFS_LOCKS' instead of the DEBUG_ALL_VFS_LOCKS
>      environment variable to enable the lock verifiction code.
>
>   Revision  Changes    Path
>   1.33      +7 -5      src/sys/tools/vnode_if.awk

This was previously disabled because our locking was so bad that we could
not boot with this option enabled.  I can now boot, compile a kernel, and
reboot without catching any locking asserts.  This means that we are safe
at our current level of debugging, but we are certainly not out of the
woods wrt VFS locking yet.

If you have a crash test box I would appreciate it if you would enable
this kernel option.  If it catches any errors you will be droped into the
debugger where you can get a backtrace (type: tr) and mail it to me &&
current@ to avoid dups.

To disable the panic & print once you've hit a bug type the following in
ddb:

w vfs_badlock_print 0
w vfs_badlock_panic 0

And you will not see any more errors.