Date:      Fri, 04 Sep 1998 14:17:15 -0400
From:      "Michael D. Goodman" <goodmike@UU.NET>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Wangtek Tape

I hope I am sending this inquiry to the proper place.  If not forgive
the intrusion.
I recently loaded freebsd onto a spare hard drive.  I have  SCSI DAT and
as a secondary tape drive I have a QIC-02 Archive controller with a
Wangtek 5150 tape drive.  The  SCSI works fine with tar's and dump's,
however I get block errors on the Wangtek.
I can do rewinds and erases on the Wangtek, but  I can't create or
extract with the tar or dump utilities.  I tried to  reference
/dev/nrwt0 and /dev/rwt0 with the same results.  When I try to create a
tape it sounds as if the drive is trying to position itself, and
finishes with no error message.  When I try to extract I get block count
errors and can't read the tape.  This happens with both tar and dump.  I
tried specifying the block count with tar with the same results.
When I set up freebsd I saw no conflicts and when the system boots I
show device wt0.  I am running freebsd 2.6.
I have tried multiple tapes that work on other system, so I am confident
with my media.  Do I have to make a new device and relink the kernal?
I only use this to transport tapes to older systems.  Any ideas?
My email is:
goodmike@uu.net

Thanks,

--