Date:      Fri, 28 Dec 2001 20:14:35 -0500
From:      "James E. Housley" <jeh@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>, joseph@randomnetworks.com, lioux@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/www Makefile ports/www/frontpage-es  Makefiledistinfo pkg-comment

Maxim Sobolev wrote:

> On Sat, 2001-12-29 at 00:06, Mikhail Teterin wrote:

> > > Patches are welcome, ya know.
> >
> > That's a bit off-topic, Max, please, don't change the subject. The ports
> > quality is the primary target. The  wide choice of pre-built packages --
> > the secondary.  It seems,  the quality  of the  ports collection  can be
> > improved  by merging  the  frontpage-<slave> ports  into one  (frontpage
> > itself), even if  that means there will be no  prebuilt packages for the
> > slaves for some time.
>
> Look, you are complaining that there is no way to build several packags
> from one port with "options", but don't provide any reasonable way it
> could be improved. Replacing several frontpage-foo ports with one port
> with "options" doesn't count, because it's worse than the current setup
> when pre-built packages are considered. I don't see why you think that
> pre-built packages are "the secondary". If the maintainer(s) feel
> comfortable maintaining N ports - so be it, it's his/their business, not
> yours.

For this specific case, a single port with multiple laguages, I have a
concept for a solution.  It is still rough and I don't have any patches
for bento's scripts yet.  I will use the www/frontpage-* as an example
here.

* If in www/frontpage "make -UBATCH" is done, ie not in BATCH mode then
a dialog will pop-up for language selection.

* If in www/frontpage "make -DBUILD_LANGUAGE=ar" then the proper pieces
for arabic will be included, including PKGNAMEPREFIX.

* A new variable will be added to www/frontpage/Makefile for the
specifying the languages to be built.  "LANGUAGES= ar de ex fr he it ja
ko nl pt sv th zh"  The scripts on bento would be modified so that if
the variable LANGUAGES existed then it would build a package for that
port, settting BUILD_LANGUAGE to each value in the array.  I suppose
there would need to be away to say build an english version with out an
extension.

There might need to be another variable added to the package .tgz file
with information about the language or what ever.

After this is done, I would imagine the next step would be to generalize
this into a second set of variable that could be used to build common
variations of some of the ports.  For example www/php4 by default builds
with MySQL support.  We could create another standard variation that
includes XML support.

Probably the best example of this would be *+ipv6.  We would have bento
automatically build the +ipv6 variations of ports.  If the variable
IPV6_ALSO=YES then a second copy for the port would be built with
-DWITH_IPV6.  That would then allow the combining www/apache13 and
www/apache13+ipv6; www/mozilla and www/mozilla+ipv6 and probably
others.  WITH_IPV6 would probably be worth adding to /etc/make.conf.

This is rough and has absolutely no code, but it is a place to start
discussions.

Jim
--
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  .