Date:      Sat, 8 Mar 1997 23:29:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dror Matalon <dror@dnai.com>
To:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISP Billing Software

On Sat, 8 Mar 1997, Tim Tsai wrote:

> > On Fri, 7 Mar 1997, Eddie Fry wrote:
> > > product called UTA that might do what you want.  It's very flexible, but
> > > not a GUI, yet.  You'll probably want to talk to Tom Duff, Dave Seigel,
> > > or Scott Thacker (x102).  Their # is (520)428-5856.
> >
> > I think $19995.00 unlimited license says it all.  Already looked at their
> > software and for the price... nah...
>
>   Check out http://www.boardtown.com

Nope, this one won't do either. Here's what they say on their web site.

    The power of Microsoft SQL Server as your backend means that
    no matter how many customers or staff users you have, your
    performance will be top notch. Plus, you won't have to deal with
    the aggravation of data corruption that Access/.DBF based billing
    packages WILL have. Microsoft SQL Server can't be beat for security,
    reliablity, and performance on the Windows platform.  Using Microsoft
    IIS, you can intergrate your Platypus data with interactive web
    pages as well.

Not the right solution for FreeBSD shops. The solution I'd like to see
would include the following components.

1. Server runs of Freebsd and other flavors of Unix.
2. Use Postgres95 as the database. It works well and it's free. The FreeBSD
or databases.
3. Use CGI and PERL for the development language.
4. Use web browsers for front end.

We've done parts of this in house, but we'd rather focus on being an
ISP than developing billing packages.

Dror Matalon                                            Voice: 510 649-6110
Direct Network Access                                   Fax:   510 649-7130
2039 Shattuck Avenue                                    Modem: 510 649-6116
Berkeley, CA 94704                                      Email: dror@dnai.com