Date:      Thu, 6 Jun 2002 14:54:15 -0400
From:      Antoine Beaupre <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx>
To:        Alexey Zelkin <phantom@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-libh@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: www progress.html

Le jeudi 6 juin 2002, =E0 12:21 PM, Alexey Zelkin a =E9crit :

> hi,
>
> Just took a look and have a question: Why
> Multilanguage support milstone is referencing to
> Citrus project ? Citrus is NetBSD based project.
> Or correctly to say FreeBSD based, but NetBSD oriented.

Ah. I wasn't aware of that. I thought Citrus was also FreeBSD-oriented.

The milestone references the citrus project because it is the only thing=20=

I know on the FreeBSD camp that intends to make a full BSD replacement=20=

for gettext.

> FreeBSD has enough infrastructure to i18n support And
> actually has better multilanguage support comparing to
> Net and Open BSDs (at least for single-byte charsets)

Maybe for charsets and such, but is there really a non-GPL gettext=20
implementation in FreeBSD? I don't think so.

I'm not worried about locale (dates, strings), but translation of output=20=

language.

Note that I don't know much about all this language stuff. I've used=20
gettext a bit, but that's all.

If you have better ideas, please tell me. :)

A.