Date:      Sat, 21 Jul 2001 07:16:00 -0400
From:      Coleman Kane <cokane@freebsd.org>
To:        Sperber <sperber@w3.brgkepler.asn-graz.ac.at>
Cc:        Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Creative Soundblaster Live! Player 5.1

--XMCwj5IQnwKtuyBG

On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 04:45:25PM +0000, Sperber wrote, and it was proclai=
med:
>=20
> On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Jason Andresen wrote:
>=20
> > Sperber wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > Today i bought the sb live... installed it and as i listened to some =
music
> > > i noticed that the quality was rather low...
> > > Has someone experiences with that soundcard?
> >
> > I have an SB Live and from what I can tell it sounds no worse than
> > my old SB16.  Sometimes its a little quieter than I'd like (I usually
> > have to have the volume set at >75, frequently closer to 95 across
> > the board to get anything audible out of the card in FreeBSD, although
> > the windows driver needs to be turned down to about 30 or so to be
> > tolerable).  Also, it doesn't support multichannel audio in FreeBSD
> > (IE no /dev/dsp0.1 /dev/dsp0.2 etc...).

This is being developed in -current, it is quite nice.

> > In what way is the "quality low" anyway?  Is it scratchy?  Noisy?
> > Tinny?  Does it sound like 8bit 4khz audio?
> >
> > What were you using to test?
>=20
> I used xmms, and it sounded "overloaded", turning the volume down helped
> :)
> But sometimes it is scratchy... (the mp3 files are ok...)
>=20

I have noticed this in XMMS when the system volume is turned way down and
the XMMS volume is way up. The solution was to set the system volume=20
lower and use externally amplified speakers (or, in my case, a stereo=20
reciever, hehe). The newer soundcards are not shipped with the amplifiers
that were present on the old ISA SB16 cards, etc..., nearly every system
uses some sort of externally amplified speakers, thus the SBLive! is=20
much quieter than the old SB16. I noticed long ago that a good set of ampli=
fied speakers is nicer than a source-amplified audio signal.

>=20
> - ----------------------------* signature *-----------------------------
> |                                              _                     |
> |                                              ~\\_                  |
> |                                                \\\\                |
> |    ... .--. . .-. -... . .-.                   `\\\\\              |
> |                                                 |\\\\\             |
> |                                                  \\\\\|__.--~~\    |
> |                                               _--~            /    |
> |                                             /~ //////  _-~~~~'     |
> |    sperber@w3.brgkepler.asn-graz.ac.at     ('-//////-//            |
> |    http://sperber.cjb.net                   //////(((-)            |
> |                                           /////"                   |
> |                                        _///"                       |
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> with "unsubscribe freebsd-multimedia" in the body of the message
>=20

--XMCwj5IQnwKtuyBG

--XMCwj5IQnwKtuyBG--