Date:      Fri, 13 Mar 1998 12:36:40 +0000
From:      Alan Judge <Alan.Judge@indigo.ie>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Scalable mail server

Andras> we have to scale our qmail based mail server (with a custom
Andras> made www frontend) to multiple machines to be able to serve
Andras> ~100000 users and more.  Currently we have a single server
Andras> based heavily overloaded system with 30000+ users. We have
Andras> many plans, but I would prefer to hear how others would start
Andras> to construct such a system. We build all the machines ourselfs
Andras> (including PII based PCs, RAID, network) and write the
Andras> necessary code.

Andras> All ideas, especially real world experiences are warmly
Andras> welcome...  (Especially file-system, user database and
Andras> redundancy issues are critical.  Would you use SMP with dual
Andras> PIIs or 2.2.5? NFS issues? Postgres instead of passwd?
Andras> Round-robin DNS or something else?)

We're doing exactly this in production.  Four PPro boxes running
2.2-STABLE and qmail (as well as Apache for user web access); all the
data is stored on a NetApp filer, with nothing but OS stuff and the
qmail mail queues on local disk.  We use Maildir format for storing
messages, so NFS locking is not an issue.  Works perfectly and has
very good redundancy.  No downtime at all since we went live last
November.  We can add a new front-end machine in about an hour or so.
With more front-ends and bigger filers available, I don't see any
problems scaling to at least a few hundred thousand mailboxes or more.
We have maybe 30K now and the load on the machines and the filer is
very low.

Each machine has two network interfaces.  One to the public and one
onto a private network for access to the filer using NFS.  Everything
hooked up with a Catalyst 5000.

I haven't tried out the SMP stuff yet, but even PPro boxes are plenty
fast for this sort of stuff.

We use round-robin DNS across three of the machines.  The fourth is a
hot spare that can be made live at any stage.  We keep all the
machines in sync using ssh and rdist.

We still use passwd databases at the moment, though even with
increases in the DB cache size, pwd_mkdb takes up to a minute.

The only trick is if you want anti-spamming support to work, yet still
want users to be able to roam onto other networks.  To get around
this, we made mods to qmail so that when users authenticate via POP,
the details are multicast to all the other servers to be used to
dynamically change the list of IP addresses allowed to relay SMTP.
--
Alan Judge					Phone: +353-1-6046901
Indigo Internet Services			Fax:   +353-1-6046948