Date:      Fri, 18 May 2007 13:57:26 +0300
From:      Manolis Kiagias <sonicy@otenet.gr>
To:        dhaneshk k <dhaneshkk@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sound configuration in FreeBSD

dhaneshk k wrote:

> Hi all
>
>  I've installed FreeBSd-6.0 +gnome2.18 in my intel  P IV   915G
> motherboard PC.It working in good condition..
>
> The trouble arised when I tried to configure sound card for my PC. It
> doesn't list any sound device .
>

> So I totally confused how to configure sound for my PC.
>
> HERE some command  o/p for your reference ..
>
> don# pciconf -lv|grep -B 4 audio
> output= nothing
>
> don# kldload -v snd_driver
> Loaded snd_driver, id=7
<SNIP>

> and
> command shows the o/p as follows  I adding the Audio device what it
> (lspci command shows)
>
> 00:16.0 Intel 82801FB/FBB ICH6 family High Definition Audio controller
>
> But in FreeBSD bootup it not showing any audio ,
>
> If any body knows the sound card configuration for FreeBSD-  pls give
> me the steps to configure it and make my PC to play some mp3 (audio )
> files..
>

> I will be very thankful to you for your earliest responses becos I
> spend almost 4 days behind this issue ..
>
> thanks in advance
> dhanesh

Seems you have the newest intel ICH6 High definition Audio. You can get
the snd_hda driver from here:

http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/lowlatency/

then do a

kldload snd_hda

and it will most probably work fine (I've tried it on a notebook, no
problems)

Other than that you should then follow the instructions in the handbook:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/sound-setup.html

(especially section 7.2.1)

Manolis