Date:      Thu, 03 Aug 2000 20:31:24 -0700
From:      Andrew Houghton <aah@acm.org>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ISP newbie, help me to not get sued

Despite the tongue-in-cheek subject line, this is a serious request.  I'm in
the process of trying to set up a box as a mail/web server for multiple
sites.  I plan on offering clients the ability to create their own email
aliases and forwarding addresses, run cgi scripts / java servlets, and host
mailing lists on their site.  For the moment, all those planning on using
this box are friends or good acquaintances, and potential problems don't
make me too nervous.    But as I get closer to actually putting this thing
together, I get more nervous, and want to make sure that even if it's a
small enterprise it's run as professionally as possible.

Assume I know nothing about this.  I've been reading the lists, reading the
FreeBSD documentation and handbook, and generally scouring the web for
whatever information I can find, but it's all academic until the machine is
up and running.

There is a wealth of "how-to" information out there, but very little
practical "what I did" information.  Please help people in my situation by
responding to this post; If there's any interest at all I'll collect any
information I get and try to coalesce it into a usable form.

Specifically,

1) what software did you try and decide against, and why?  I'm specifically
interested in sendmail and replacements, majordomo and replacements, ftpd
and replacements.. commercial products or not, any information is valuable.

2) if you decided not to use 'jail', what steps did you take to minimize
risk for running CGI / servlets?  If you *are* using jail, how did you
handle things before that was an option?

3) how would you / did you handle upgrades with a single machine?

4) what did you *not* consider that came back to haunt you?  I have no
illusions that I'll be able plan for everything, but I'd like to be able to
plan for most.

The machine I'm using is a VALinux FullOn 2240;  it's a RAID machine with a
tape backup, but in retrospect I'm thinking CD or DAT may have made more
sense.

- Andrew