Date:      19 Sep 1998 11:40:34 +0200
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling C. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= )
To:        joelh@gnu.org
Cc:        Joachim Kuebart <joki@kuebart.stuttgart.netsurf.de>, ken@plutotech.com (Kenneth D. Merry), freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: LINT not up to date

Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org> writes:
> > > I guess that "options log" was from some -current, but don't remember
> > > what it did or what it does.  It's in neither LINT nor GENERIC now.
> > > Is it still something useful?
> > Are you sure you didn't mean to write 'pseudo-device log'? A
> > lower-case option looks bogus to me.
> I may have when I first wrote the line (which has been in the config
> file and commented out since at least May, and probably before).
> There are, unfortunately, still no clues as to its meaning in either
> LINT or GENERIC.

This is from the -stable version of LINT:

# Of these, only the `log' device is truly mandatory.  The `pty'
# device usually turns out to be ``effectively mandatory'', as it is
# required for `telnetd', `rlogind', `screen', `emacs', and `xterm',
# among others.
# If you wish to run certain
# system utilities which are compressed by default (like /stand/sysinstall)
# then `gzip' becomes mandatory too.
#
pseudo-device   pty     16      #Pseudo ttys - can go as high as 256
#pseudo-device  vcfs    4       #coda minicache <-> venus comm.
pseudo-device   speaker         #Play IBM BASIC-style noises out your speaker
pseudo-device   log             #Kernel syslog interface (/dev/klog)
pseudo-device   gzip            #Exec gzipped a.out's
pseudo-device   vn              #Vnode driver (turns a file into a device)
pseudo-device   snp     3       #Snoop device - to look at pty/vty/etc..
pseudo-device   ccd     4       #Concatenated disk driver

It's not in -current LINT, GENERIC or GENERICupgrade though. It's not
in my kernel config either. You probably commented it out when it
disappeared from -current and then forgot about it :)

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - dag-erli@ifi.uio.no