Date:      Fri, 22 May 1998 21:31:11 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Tom <tom@sdf.com>, Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DPT install problem

On Fri, May 22, 1998 at 10:41:41AM -0700, Tom wrote:
>   Yes, it seems to be a sysinstall interaction.  If I leave the space
> unallocated, and then disklabel and newfs it later, it works fine.
>
>   Currently it is pretty hard to bootstrap a new DPT system.  You have to
> be able to build a kernel somewhere else as sysinstall will install a
> non-DPT kernel, and you can't use sysinstall to allocate large DPT
> partitions.  I fear for the new user.

sysinstall doesn't do this anymore.  The DPT driver is activated as
part of the standard sysinstall now.

As for large arrays: I think that will have to be left to you that
actually have those large arrays - it is kind of difficult for us
others to find out where the problem is.  I suspect libdisk might be
the culprit; it interact with the slice code using different IOCTLs
than disklabel, IIRC.

Eivind.