Date:      Tue, 28 May 1996 00:52:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   possible bug in DDB?

Hi...

	Since the only real active development is done on current,
I'm posting this here, even thought it only pertains to -stable
right now (I dare not ask about -current yet *grin*)...

	A couple of weeks back, someone posted about instabilities
on his machine, and by disabling DDB he seemed to have improved his
stability.  So, me in my wishful state of mind, decided to try that
out and see if it helped...it did.

	Right now, my uptimes look like:

ki# ruptime
ki            up 17+14:34,     4 users,  load 1.12, 1.28, 1.33
thrawn        up 10+02:46,     0 users,  load 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

	For my stable machines.

	Right now, ki is running the news server, nfs server, web
server, YP server...and a Postgres95 server, so its my most heavily
loaded machine.

	On top of that, starting today (after being up 17days, I'm
running successive 'make cleandir; make obj; make depend all' on
/usr/src (i don't want it to install anything, just make it all)
with -pipe enabled.  Currently, I'm on my second iteration of that.

	The only change to the machine, other then disabling
DDB, was to add in another 16Meg of RAM, so now I'm only running
50meg into swap instead of 66Meg *sigh*.  I'm not sure how memory
allocation works in RAM...does it fill up one chip first and then
go to the next, or does it Randomly write as well as access?  I
put the new chip into bank 3, so if it fills up one chip then the
next, the two old chips are the ones being taxed currently.

	So...from this:

	a) I'm totally f*cked and DDB has no bearing on it, its
	   still a hardware problem;
	b) this theory has some merit and there might be a bug
           in DDB; or
	c) this theory has some merit in so far that altho DDB
	   is okay, its taxing some aspect of the hardware that
	   isn't taxed without DDB enabled.

	Since I'm kinda used to it, I'm kinda partial to a)
myself, but I figurd I've been quiet for a *real* long time
now, and my uptime *is* nice and high for a change, *and* I
do seem to be able to run successive make's on the source
true...so figured I'd take a shot :)

Marc G. Fournier                                  scrappy@ki.net
Systems Administrator @ ki.net               scrappy@freebsd.org