Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 1995 18:07:24 +0100 (MET)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Hackers)
Subject:   Re: elm problem - "solved"

Terry Lambert writes:

> > It's not voodoo, it's grotesque.  Every time you change crt0.o, you
> > need to change your object file recognition routines?  What do you do
> > if you're playing with crt0.o?
>
> Well, if you are smart, you aren't in this position in the first place
> because you picked a different magic number when you changed the ABI
> that the binaries use.
>
> If you're not smart, then you become grotesque as a damage control
> mechanism.

If I understand you, to be "smart" you need to have control over the
development of both systems.  In that case, you could be smarter and
not perpetrate this kind of thing at all.

I thought you were lucky at one point, since the FreeBSD format is
different from the BSD/386 format, but then BSDI didn't change their
format between 1.1 and 2.0, so we have the rather amusing fact that
BSD/OS 2.0 will run the FreeBSD version of elm and not the BSD/386 1.1
version.  I don't know how FreeBSD can distinguish between the 1.1
version, which needs the emulator, and the 2.0 version, which doesn't.
You can't even rely on the crt0.o to have changed.

Greg