Date:      Thu, 5 Dec 2002 23:36:20 +1100
From:      "Rob B" <rbyrnes@ozemail.com.au>
To:        "Oliver Lehmann" <lehmann@ans-netz.de>, "Sten" <sten@blinkenlights.nl>
Cc:        <alpha@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: bootable RAID Controllers

----- Original Message -----
From: "Oliver Lehmann" <lehmann@ans-netz.de>
To: "Sten" <sten@blinkenlights.nl>
Cc: <alpha@freebsd.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 05, 2002 10:51 PM

> Sten wrote:
>
> > Wether a raid controller is bootable depends on the srm support.
>
> Thats what i ask about.. I have no clue which RAID controllers my srm
> knowns. Actually I'm using the newest SRM which is available for this
> machine (v5.8).
>
> > Once FreeBSD is booted most raid controllers will work.
> And how to configure the raid? Is it possible to move inside these
> Configuration Utilityat boottime to configure the RAID? Otherwise how
> should i use such a controller w/o the ability to configure the drives
> within the controller configuration utility...

The configuration of the card is done from within srm.

> > Booting from ide/floppy is usally the easiest way.
> Actually the machine boots from a Tekram DC 390U2W (SYM-895) Controller.
> But i would like to have the whole Sysmtem on a RAID-5 Host drive.

Some Mylex DAC-960 cards are supported as boot devices, but as to how to
know what you srm supports, that's a bit of a mystery.  srm isn't documented
very well at all - even inside DEC/Compaq/HP.

Apart from asking here, check the archives of some of the Alpha Linux
mailing lists, Redhat and Debian would be the best bets.  Some current- &
ex-Alpha engineers are on those lists

cheers,
Rob

--   "Teaching should be such that what is offered is perceived
as a valuable gift and not as a hard duty." - Albert Einstein