Date:      Fri, 31 Oct 1997 14:40:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      craig@tuna.progroup.com (Craig W. Shaver)
To:        mavilde@cmn.comnexo.pt (mavilde)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New hard drive

> Hello, greetings from Portugal
>
> I'm i good customer of your operating system FreeBSD, i have it
> installed in several machines and im getting pretty happy with it's
> functionality. Now i have this problem, and would like to have some
> specialized help before do something that could destroy my system,
> that's this:
>
> When i first installed FreeBSD, version 2.1.7, i had only one hard
> drive, these are it's features:
>
> # disklabel -r sd0
>
> # /dev/rsd0c:
ok, del ....

> Now i wanted to add a new hard drive with similar features the main
> difference is that it has 4GigaBytes of space. I hadded it, it is
> already recognized as sd1 when i run sysinstall. Iīve not done any
> configuration regarding this hard drive.
>
> What i wanted to do was to enlarge the actual partitions wich are
> already full with no more space left, mainly /var.
> Is there any way i can expand the actual partitions to the new hard
> drive,or to move some partitions to the new hard drive and change the
> space reserved for the actual partitions without losing any data or
> destroying the filesystem?
>
> I donīt know if i was very clear i'll sumarize what i want:
>
> My system is full, i'm trying to add a new hard drive so i can fix this
> space problem, i don't want to change or loose data stored on the actual
> hard drive.

Did you partition and label the new drive?  It sounds like you might have,
since you said something about using sysinstall.  Did you get it newfs'd?
Did you set up a mount point and mount any of the slices?  Is the drive
bootable?  Did you install the master boot record (mbr)?

Just mount the slice(s) you want to use for parts from the original disk.
Then carefully copy over the disk parts to the new disk.  I would do all
this as a single user root.

Now, I gather you want to boot from this disk.  I think you should be
able to install that drive as the boot drive and go.  i.e., set the drive
as the boot drive in the controller bios, or switch the target id to 0.

Then use the old drive as a data drive.

I don't usually carve up a drive to use for /var /usr  etc.  I set the
drive to be 1 partition and let those spaces be shared under the /
mount.  If I really need space I dedicate a second drive to /usr or
/var, and move them off the root drive.

--
Craig Shaver  (craig@progroup.com) (415)390-0654
Productivity Group POB 60458 Sunnyvale, CA  94088