Date:      Fri, 28 Aug 1998 13:02:38 -0700
From:      John Derk <johnderk@infoserve.net>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   locked out by xdm

HELP!

Here's the deal. I've recently gotten Xwindows operational and I wanted
to make it start automatically on bootup.

Following the instructions in The Complete FreeBSD, I did the following:

"To enable xdm,

1. Add the following line (in bold face) to /etc/rc.local:

  # put your local stuff here
  echo " xdm"; /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm

  echo '.'

2. Add a line to the xdm configuration file
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers:

  :0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 vt03   you can add more options here"

Now when I boot up, I get a login window, into which I enter my login
name and passwd. The problem is that I've inadvertently created some
kind of loop:  Everytime I enter my login name and passwd, I am returned
to the same login window. How do I fix this?

Thanks,
John Derk <johnderk@infoserve.net>