Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2001 10:39:05 -0400
From:      Joe Abley <jabley@automagic.org>
To:        Alexey Zelkin <phantom@FreeBSD.org.ua>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, audit@FreeBSD.org, bde@FreeBSD.org, ache@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: whois(1) patch for review

On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 04:08:21PM +0300, Alexey Zelkin wrote:
> It adds new command line modifier "-c" to declare server code.
> Originally it was supposed to point to country's whois
> server, but with no modifications can be used for other areas.
>
> For example you can have following string in your whoisservers
> configuration file (system wide -- /usr/share/misc/whoiservers
> or personal ~/.whoisservers):
>
> local		whois.mydomain.com

I wrote a patch for the openbsd whois client a year or so ago which
used lookups under the whois-servers.net zone to locate appropriate
whois servers for domain names.

Looks like someone ported that to FreeBSD's client (the -Q option).
Just thought I'd mention it, since your examples include:

> It also supposed to be used for country's whois servers. For example
> with whoisservers.

> ru	whois.ripn.net
> ua	whois.net.ua
>
> whois -c ru freebsd.org.ru (use -- whois.ripn.net)

whois -Q freebsd.org.ru

> whois -c ua freebsd.org.ua (use -- whois.net.ua)

whois -Q freebsd.org.ua

> Resume: with this patch included to add new country's whois server
> we'll need to add only one string to text file, not to modify
> whois(1) code as it has been done by Andrey for '-R' and as
> some pending PR's proposed to do.

This list is already maintained in the whois-servers.net zone.

Joe