Date:      Mon, 28 May 2007 01:32:23 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        julian@elischer.org
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GOPchop replacement?

In message: <465A7BC8.2080900@elischer.org>
            Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org> writes:
: Jeremy Messenger wrote:
: > On Sun, 27 May 2007 23:37:09 -0500, M. Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:
: >
: >> I'm looking to do non-linear editing, clip extraction, etc from a set
: >> of videos I've shot.  These videos are from a DV camera, and I've
: >> processed them down into MPEG2 format for DVDs.  I no longer have the
: >> DV originals.  I was wondering if there's any good non-linear editor
: >> for these things.  So far the best thing I've found is GOPchop, which
: >> is still extremely primitive.  Are there any others?  There's many in
: >> the multimedia category that look like they might do the trick, but so
: >> far I've come up empty.
: >
: > Maybe this URL will helping you to find a better one.
: >
: > http://freshmeat.net/browse/256/
: >
: > Which is better one? I have no idea. So far from what I see in the
: > screenshots: avidemux and PiTiVi look cool for GTK+2 or GNOME users, and
: > Kdenlive and Kfilm for KDE or QT users.

I was hoping for someone who has actually done this to answer.  "Tool
X is what I use, and I do Y and Z with it."  There's no end to sites
that have lists of things available.  Given that it takes multiple
hours to build most of them, I'd rather see if someone else has
actually used one before first.

: > Cheers,
: > Mezz
: >
: >> This is on FreeBSD/amd64 running current.
: >>
: >> Warner
: >
: >
: ok
:  so I give up.. what does "non-linear" mean in this context?

Non-linear in this context means that I can take a video stream.  I
can subset it into clips and arrange the clips into an order of my
choosing and save the result as a new video.  Bonus if the meta-data
can be saved so I can tweak the edits at a later time.  kino does
this, but only with DV video.

Warner