Date:      Tue, 19 Feb 2019 21:41:50 +1030
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        Pietro Cerutti <gahr@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "tcltk@freebsd.org" <tcltk@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: No man pages by default

> On 19 Feb 2019, at 19:28, Pietro Cerutti <gahr@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> On Feb 19 2019, 06:47 UTC, Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au> =
wrote:
>> Oops a co-worker reminded me I asked this in the past :)
>>=20
>> A suggestion then was to use MAN_SUFFIX to avoid collisions with =
multiple Tcl versions being installed simultaneously so I'll see about =
creating patches to do that.
>=20
> Hi Daniel,
>=20
> the Tcl/Tk ports already use MAN_SUFFIX to avoid conflicts when =
installing multiple versions. Moreover, man pages don't imply any =
additional dependencies and the additional disk space needed is in my =
opinion reasonable (lang/tcl86 is 7.66MiB without vs. 8.74MiB with =
manpages on my system).
>=20
> Given these reasons, I have changed the default options of Tcl/Tk 85, =
86 and 87 so that man pages are installed by default.

Well, that was easy, thanks :)

> Additionally, I have also enabled the installation of TZ data by =
default.

OK, to be honest I have no idea what that does - I always assumed it =
just used the base TZ data which was up to date anyway so it was not a =
particularly valuable option.

> The relevant commit is r493355.

Thanks again!

> Thanks,
>=20
>>=20
>>> On 19 Feb 2019, at 17:02, Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au> =
wrote:
>>>=20
>>> Hi,
>>> We use Tcl/Tk on FreeBSD for a lot of work things (running radar =
systems) and one annoying bug bear is the lack of man pages by default.
>>>=20
>>> The commit to disable them =
(https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports?view=3Drevision&revision=3D229081) =
doesn't say why so I was wondering if anyone knew, and if there would be =
any objections to changing the default?
>>>=20
>>> We would very much like to transition to using FreeBSD default =
packages wherever possible and this would be very helpful.
>>>=20
>>> I did have a look in bugzilla but I couldn't find anything (apart =
from a few name conflicts which were fixed with some man page renames).