Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 1997 17:39:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Studded <Studded@dal.net>, "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: >8 char usernames going into 2.2.5?

On Fri, 19 Sep 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > 	I remember a discussion a while back that the changes to allow
> > user names of greater than 8 characters that are presently working in
> > current would be back-ported to 2.2.x RSN.  I'm wondering if this
> > change will be made in time for the 2.2.5 release.
>
> Hmm, I'm not sure who told you that but it was definitely never our
> intention to go to >8 character usernames in the 2.2-stable branch.
> There is too much potential upheaval associated with that change and
> so we've decided to take our lumps all at once with 3.0.
>
> 					Jordan

  I'd like to register strong disagreement with the above.  The change
itself, is simple.  It is going to affect packages that read/alter
utmp/wtmp/lastlog.  However, since the packages will be re-built
everything will be ok, as long as people don't use old packages.  I think
we should get this change behind us.  It is only get to get worse.

  I'm also rather annoyned that BSDI has had 16 characters usernames for
over two years, and FreeBSD doesn't yet have a single release that does.
It makes FreeBSD look antiquated.

Tom