Date:      Tue, 04 Feb 2003 16:41:56 -0600
From:      Sean O'Neill <sean@seanoneill.info>
To:        pippo@bellnet.ca
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: portupgrading problems

At 05:22 PM 2/4/2003 -0500, pippo@bellnet.ca wrote:
>At 07:48 AM 2/4/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>>On Tuesday 04 February 2003 07:00 am, pippo@bellnet.ca wrote:
>> > Some time ago I chose FreeBSD over all other *nix systems because I
>> > found the system better managed, easier to administrate, better
>> > supported and simpler to update and upgrade both the OS and the
>> > programs - especially through portupgrade.
>> > Several times I have encountered glitches in the update process; some
>> > I managed to figure out what the problem was, some other I just had
>> > to wait until the port was corrected then re-cvsup and portupgrade.
>> > This, on 2 similar FBSD v.4.7 installations.
>> >
>> > Currently I have encountered problems with updating KDE3 (because
>> > kdegames3 had some sort of problem - I don't have time for the games
>> > anyway, but this messes up the update - and the audio/arts program
>> > also had problems) and Openoffice 1.02.
>>
>>I think you have something else that is wrong. For example, if you check
>>the cvs-repository, nothing has been modified on kdegames since it was
>>updated to version 3.1 6 days ago. About 18 hours ago, I cvsuped
>>ports-all, rebuilt INDEX like you are supposed to do after cvsuping,
>>and then ran
>>
>>portupgrade -pufr qt
>>
>>This rebuilt all of the ports that depend on qt-3.1.1_2 and pretty much
>>includes all of kde and arts.
>>
>>What version are you trying to upgrade kde from? The older versions
>>basically require a package delete and fresh install. They also don't
>>work with XFree86-3.3.6. You have to use version 4.x.
>>
>>If a port requires to much space, then you need to use the prebuilt
>>packages.
>>
>>Kent
>
>On further checking on the /audio/arts port, I found the following: When I
>try to update the port, a wrong version is indicated - the installed
>version is  arts-1.0.4,1 and the portupgrade program is trying to updat to
>3.1,1 (which doesn't exist).
>On the ports site, there is no link to the sources - What is going on here?
>
>BTW, I am using the latest version of XFree86 (4.2 or whatever, not the
>3.6.6) and I regularly update - usually on Weekends. Usually, the problems
>I encounter are just the kind of thing I am experiencing now, there is no
>source listed for the arts program and the rest of the KDE3 port seems to
>be unaware of this .... :((
>
>Now, what do I do? :((
>PJ

I had problems upgrading my KDE to 3.1 myself.  This is what I did to get
it to work correctly.  Well, it wasn't an upgrade using the instructions
below - its actually a complete reinstall.

Unfortunately, doing a portupgrade on kde didn't work for me.  BTW, I was
going from KDE 3.0 to KDE 3.1.  I had to in this order manually:

1) install kde3libs
2) install kdebase3
3) install kde3

I'm not sure if the instructions at
http://freebsd.kde.org/instructions.shtml would have worked for me.  I
found this AFTER I got 3.1 to install :(

For some reason, doing the portupgrade for kde3 fails because it complains
an option was selected to not install the KDE source.  I also was missing
/usr/local/include/ltdl.h which comes with libtool for some unknown
reason.  I had to goto into the ports directory for this port and run "make
patch" and manually copy the ltdl.h file into /usr/local/include.

I /may/ have done some more manual steps after step 3.  I can't remember
honestly as I did this last week and didn't write down everything I did.

Sean O'Neill