Date:      Sat, 28 Mar 1998 14:02:45 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Jeffrey D. Weitzel" <jweitzel@best.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 294x problem

On Fri, 27 March 1998 at 16:59:05 -0800, Jeffrey D. Weitzel wrote:
> Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 23 March 1998 at  0:51:31 -0800, Jeffrey D. Weitzel wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>>     I'm trying to install FreeBSD off the Walnut Creek CD-ROM,
>>
>> Which one?
>>

> 2.2.5 November '97

OK.  I suppose that's why it can at least recognize the chip.

>>> and I'm not getting very far.
>>>
>>> The installation program isn't correctly identifying my SCSI controller
>>> (an adaptec 294x).
>>> The following message is in the system logs during the PCI scan:
>>>
>>> pci0:9:1: Adaptec, device=0x7895, class=storage(scsi) int a irq 10 [no
>>> driver assigned]
>>> pci0:9:1: Adaptec, device=0x7895, class=storage(scsi) int b irq 10 [no
>>> driver assigned]
>>
>> This doesn't look like a 2940 to me.  It looks like an on-board AIC
>> 7895 chip.  Is that correct?  It's supported in 3.0, but not in 2.2.5.
>> I don't know about 2.2.6 yet.
>
> I think you are right. I was deceived by some secondary clues. When are 2.2.6
> and 3.0 expected to be "stable"?

2.2.6 has been released.  It's available via FTP now, and the CD-ROM
will be out in a few weeks.  3.0 is expected some time later this
year, but based on the last few weeks, you can expect significant
slippage.  It could be the biggest single step change in FreeBSD
history.

> I like your book, BTW. Very helpful.

Thanks
Greg