Date:      Thu, 1 Jul 1999 17:27:37 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Jonathon Doran <doranj@Colorado.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PWD Shell Prompt Using sh

> Hello,
> I'd like to change my shell prompt to wear it displays my pwd followed by
> an # or whatever, I don't really care about anything besides getting the
> pwd.

Rather than go into the answer here, I think I'll point you to the FAQ
from comp.unix.questions.  It contains the answer to your question (for sh),
how to do it for other shells, and possibly some other questions you
may have in the future.  This is a valuable resource which a lot of
people might not know about.

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/unix-faq/faq/part2/index.html

Yours is question 2.4 on the page.

If you are unable to view this document, please send me email privately and
I'll forward it to you.

Jon Doran