Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 1999 19:12:25 +0200
From:      jussi-pekka.sairanen@nokia.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   thinkpad 600 & FreeBSD

Hi,

Sorry, I couldn't find anything helpful in various faqs or mailing lists.

My problem is: I'm trying to install FreeBSD 2.2.8 on IBM ThinkPad 600
(128MB memory, 6.5 GB disk), I've tried with a boot floppy and a boot
CD-ROM, I've tried with different user configurations (removing almost all
devices from the lists, leaving all there and something in between) but the
result is always the same, the machine gives four beeps and then freezes
completely. This usually happens when it has reached the first colourful
installation dialog.

I tried installing Linux and incidentally when the Redhat script asked
whether I needed any PCMCIA cards during installation, when I accidentally
responded 'yes' it froze in similar fashion as the FreeBSD installation.
After reboot Linux would install normally when I told not to look for PCMCIA
cards.

The FreeBSD 3.0 installation was no different to 2.2.8 in the way how it
froze.

Any advice available?

thanks,

Jussi-Pekka Sairanen