Date:      Fri, 30 Oct 2009 13:05:26 +0100
From:      Ruben de Groot <mail25@bzerk.org>
To:        Aflatoon Aflatooni <aaflatooni@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sendmail SMTP server outgoing email rate

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 09:50:06PM -0700, Aflatoon Aflatooni typed:
> Hi,
> Is there a way that I could configure sendmail so that I could control the rate of outgoing emails?
> For example if there are 2 outbound emails destined for Yahoo.com server then they would be sent one connection at a time so that it is not flooding their server.
>
> Also, is there a limit on the incoming connection for sendmail?

For incoming connections you are looking at the ratecontrol and conncontrol
features, see /usr/share/sendmail/cf/README.

For outgoing, I don't know. Why would you want to be so nice to the Yahoo.com server ;)
They should rate-limit their server if they have a problem (and I bet they do this).

There is a SINGLE_THREAD_DELIVERY option, but that's probably not what you want.

cheers,
Ruben