Date:      Mon, 28 Jul 2008 09:38:48 -1000
From:      Clifton Royston <cliftonr@lava.net>
To:        Daniel Eischen <deischen@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Unga <unga888@yahoo.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: undefined reference to SYS_cpuset

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 02:05:55PM -0400, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2008, Unga wrote:
>
> >--- On Mon, 7/28/08, Daniel Eischen <deischen@freebsd.org> wrote:
> >
> >>Your problem is that you don't have an up-to-date
> >>kernel src
> >>(src/sys) directory with includes in your build
> >>environment.
> >
> >I have nothing to do with src/sys. I link against FreeBSD libs for a
> >long time, it just today onwards did not work. That's all.
> >>Your libc is being built against an old set of includes, so
> >>it is up to you how to want to modify your build
> >>environment
> >>

> >I install FreeBSD includes from /usr/src/include and libs from
> >/usr/src/lib. From the today onwards if the make in /usr/src/include
> >does not install all the headers required for libs building that
> >should be clearly documented and notified prominently, that I don't
> >see it in UPDATING or any where.
> >
> >FYI, my libc is build against the **latest** set of includes installed
> >by the make in the /usr/src/include and nothing but that, ie, there
> >are no other headers in /mypath/include, the compilation and
> >installation of libc goes **without** any error. So that "Your libc is
> >being built against an old set of includes" is just pure nonsense, and
> >stupid statement made without knowing what people are doing.

  If your initial complaint is "it doesn't work", and other people
explain to you that the way you're doing it is wrong, then "the way I
do it always works fine" is not a very useful reply - you started by
saying it doesn't!

  What you have been doing happens to work (usually, most of the time)
because as long as nothing changes much in the interface to the kernel,
it doesn't hurt too much to have stale system include files.  (It may
be that there were subtle problems along the way which you never
noticed because they didn't block the build from completing.)

  There is only one approved and "guaranteed" by the maintainers way to
build things.  That doesn't mean it's the only way to do things, but if
you build things differently, it's up to you to understand how your
system works differently from the base system and to accept the
responsibility for fixing problems.  That's not a huge deal in this
case, as you've been given the answers as to what's missing from your
build procedure.

  -- Clifton

--
    Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr@iandicomputing.com / cliftonr@lava.net