Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 2000 10:19:19 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Paul Herman <pherman@frenchfries.net>
To:        S Zaveloff <zaveloff@onr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD will not boot

On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, S Zaveloff wrote:

> I recently purchased the "FreeBSD Handbook" that comes with
> FreeBSD 4.1 from Walnut Creek CDROM. I installed it according
> to the instructions and configured X-windows, etc. Everything
> seemed to go Ok but when I tried to reboot, it started to load the
> kernel, I got the copyright message and then the following error
> message:
>
> 	Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
> 	fault virtual address = 0xbf57e4c
> 	fault code = supervisor read, page not present
> 	. . .
>
> The machine then stops.
>
> I am using a Dell 233 MHz Pentium with 128 MB of RAM. I installed
> FreeBSD in a primary partition on the last 2 GB of a 4.3 GB Western
> Digital hard disk (disk no. 3).

Hmmm this is a tough one, because it happens so early (before the
system comes up).

If I were to start to "debug" this one, my first guess would be to
suspect the memory first.  Are you able to remove some banks of RAM,
or better yet, swap them out completely?

Also, be sure you aren't overclocking.

-Paul.