Date:      Fri, 6 Aug 1999 00:38:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Joseph Lee <nugundam@best.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: static route setup problems

On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, Doug White wrote:
> You should just default-route it to your gateway.  You'll have to bounce
> off the upstream to reach your off-net boxes.  If they were all the same,
> the net route ifconfig creates when you set up your NIC would cover them.

This really sucks because everybody here is on at least a 10base-T lan,
and the upstream routers (Cox) also bandwidth limit upstream to 128bps.
That means 20Kps max between machines few feet between each other.

> In this case, you're supernetting the two upstream subnets.  You'll have
> trouble getting to other subscriber's machines on the same two-class C
> supernet you've created, but it won't have to bounce off the router to
> reach your local boxen.

Yup, which is what I'm aiming for.

> The other, easier solution is to use the FreeBSD box as a gateway and NAT
> the other two boxen behind it.  If you're paying per-IP this cuts your
> costs.

There was thought about this, but I don't own the 2 other machines (B/C) so
I'm not going to force the issue.  1 could be nat'd, but the other has needs
and uses I'm not going to meddle with.  Maybe later.

> In sum, since this isn't properly addressed, you'll have to bounce off the
> upstream router to readdress the packets so you can reach your other
> workstations.

Can't I patch route (in code) to do what the Windos route does?  It seems to
make a route work when its netmask is 255.255.255.255.  Or that's entirely
based on the flavor of the tcp/ip stack?

It does seems to be possible as I supernet the netmask, let the other nics
be detected, then set the netmask back to normal 255.255.255.0.  The
detected nics stay in the routing tables until the respective machines are
turned off.

> I'd push heavily to get new IPs that are on the same subnet, or take my
> NAT advice.

Hm.. looks like I'll have to pick something.

Thanks.

Joseph nugundam =best=com==/==\=IIGS=/==\=Playstation=/==\=Civic HX CVT=/==\
#            Anime Expo 1999            >> www.anime-expo.org/              >
#      FreeBSD: The Power to Serve      >> www.freebsd.org                  >
# EX: The Online World of Anime & Manga >> www.ex.org/                     /