Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2000 22:42:20 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Nils Holland <nils@nightcastleproductions.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PPP connection to German T-Online

Hallo folks,
although I have set up user-land ppp for numerous times on several
machines, I encountered a problem today that I feel unable to solve. Let
me explain:

On one of my machines that previously connected correctly to the Internet,
I changed the configuration to dial into a T-Online (Germany's biggest ISP
who is responsible for the fact that my previous provider went bankrupt,
so I had to switch to them to get an affordable flatrate). That was
simple: I simply changed the phone number, authname and authkey. DONE I
thought - but wrong.

When I now try to connect (ppp -nat papchap, followed by the dial
command) I GET a connection, but I cannot reach any computer on the
Internet. Only exception: I can ping the nameservers assigned to my by
T-Online. I CANNOT, however, look up names (nslookup
nightcastleproductions.org does not return a reply, even after a few
minutes). I tried to ping other hosts by hostname and IP - but all failed.

Now I tried to dial in to another different ISP using the same settings as
for my T-Online connection (I only changed the phone number, username and
password) and, THAT WORKS!

Strange, I thought, so I went over to a buddy who has a Windoze box (I've
installed FreeBSD on all my systems) and tried to establish a standard PPP
connection using the Windoze Dial Up Network (so I didn't install the
special T-Online software - which schouldn't be neccessary, since the
basic dial-in method for T-Online is plain and simple PPP). And what did I
see? It worked under Windows. Searching the web for information I found
out that it also seems to work under Linux - I did not find any
information concering FreeBSD (otherwise I wouldn't ask that question
here).

So, what's up? Basically, being unable to reach an outside host would
suggest to me that there are problems with the routes. But that cannot be,
because when I simply dial into a different ISP with the same basic
settings in my ppp.conf file I used for T-Online, it works.

So what else could it be? I don't know! I'd be glad if anyone (most likely
a German subscriber of this mailing list) has some experience with using
FreeBSD and T-Online. If somebody else has ever had similar problems I'd
also be grateful if they would sheare their knowledge with me.

Thanks in advance,
Nils