Date:      Wed, 12 Dec 2018 19:13:21 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <oliver@fromme.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, atypical@autisticstory.net (Hubert Hauser)
Subject:   Re: Running Tor service in the jail environment

Hubert Hauser wrote:
 > It sounds like a good idea but weren't a better solution use an
 > open-hardware device acting as Tor router with installed OpenBSD
 > or HardenedBSD?

Personally I trust FreeBSD more than the alternatives.
But that's just me.  ;-)

 > Why wouldn't you use for it jail environment? I want to place
 > Tor in the jail environment because I want to prevent system
 > being compromised in case compromising Tor service.

I think it would be better to put the Tor service inside
a virtual machine, for example VirtualBox or FreeBSD's own
technology called bhyve.  It has two advantages:  First,
the separation is somewhat "stricter" and more extensive
than jails (for example, jails still share the same kernel,
but VMs do not).  Second, it is easier to create a setup
suitable for networking with Tor.  It might be possible
with a jail, too, but I think that would be more difficult
and error-prone.  And you *do* want to avoid errors when
you're going to set up a Tor service.

Disclaimer:  I've never set up a Tor service myself.

Best regards
   Olli

--
Oliver Fromme, München   --   FreeBSD + DragonFly BSD

``We are all but compressed light'' - Albert Einstein