Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 2002 16:55:12 +0930
From:      Brian Astill <bastill@sa.apana.org.au>
To:        "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>, Andy Knapp <knappster@knappster.net>
Cc:        "'Tom Snell'" <gracchus@inficad.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: microuptime() went backwards, FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE

On Wednesday 16 October 2002 04:20, Hartmann, O. wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Andy Knapp wrote:
>
> No, on our servers I disabled APM by default because it triggered trouble
> in the past on several SMP machines. And why APM on every-time-up servers?
> No, definitely no APM facilities in kernel or BIOS enabled!
>
> :>are there any references to apm in it? seems the default reference,
> :>which says to disable it, doesn't work correctly...

This is getting to be a FAQ.
Disabled isn't the same as not present.
APM must be not present in the kernel if microuptime backwards is to be
avoided.  ie recompile with the apm lines REMOVED ALTOGETHER in your config.

I thought this problem was confined to Athlon CPUs on VIA chipset mobos -
apparently not so.

--
Regards,
Brian