Date:      Thu, 20 May 1999 11:47:43 -0400
From:      Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        Evan Tsoukalas <evan@falcon.sourcee.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sony VAIO 505TS

On Thu, May 20, 1999 at 01:11:23AM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> In message <19990520000832.A27034@netmonger.net> Christopher Masto writes:
> : Now I would really like to get the IrDA working, at least in SIR mode.
> : It is detected by sio, but doesn't seem to transmit or receive.  I
> : think it might just need to be powered up somehow.
>
> I was able to use the IR port on my libretto w/o any special hacks.
> However, to talk to most IrDA machines, you need the IrDA stack, which
> FreeBSD doesn't have.

Actually, the devices that I most want to talk to are my PalmPilot and
digital camera, which I think both use SIR.  It should be possible to
pretend the IR port is just a 16550.  It is detected when I set the
address and IRQ correctly, but when I ran "cu", it didn't seem to
transmit anything.  I just looked at it through a video camera which
is very sensitive to IR, and I saw nothing while typing characters.
It also received nothing when I beamed my pilot or digital camera at
it.  I suspect it needs some initialization, but haven't had much
time to wade through the specs (I think it uses the SMC IRCC chip).
--
Christopher Masto         Senior Network Monkey      NetMonger Communications
chris@netmonger.net        info@netmonger.net        http://www.netmonger.net

Free yourself, free your machine, free the daemon -- http://www.freebsd.org/