Date:      Fri, 20 Nov 2015 12:25:04 +0000
From:      David Chisnall <theraven@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Garance A Drosehn <gad@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: libXO-ification - tangent on JSON choices

On 16 Nov 2015, at 21:04, Garance A Drosehn <gad@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>=20
> First let me say that I wish I had more time to contribute to the =
project,
> but I seem to be caught in variety of long drawn-out hassles in =
real-life.
> Otherwise I would already know the answer to this question:
>=20
> Is there some specification for what JSON is created by the various =
FBSD
> utilities?  I did not see any discussion of that in the earlier =
threads
> on this.  I don't mean "what is syntatically correct JSON?", I mean =
some
> kind of guidelines of what property-names would be used across =
commands,
> and what values should be for those properties.

There is not, currently.  Until 11.0 is branched, it should be =
considered to be in flux, but after that then we are going to provide =
backwards compatibility (i.e. you can add fields to the JSON, but you =
can=E2=80=99t remove them).  Before this point, it would be good to have =
some consensus of on what properties should be common and what each =
should be providing, and regression tests for the JSON (the XML is =
isomorphic to the JSON, so probably doesn=E2=80=99t need testing =
separately).

If you want to provide a first draft of some recommendations, they would =
be very welcome,

David