Date:      Thu, 20 Aug 1998 16:28:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Cliff Addy <fbsdlist@federation.addy.com>
To:        Vallo Kallaste <vallo@matti.ee>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Quantum hard drives - comments ?

On Mon, 17 Aug 1998, Vallo Kallaste wrote:

> I want to hear comments about Quantum Viking II hard drives. Are these drives
> good for use with NCR875 controller ? I have heard that some other Quantum
> drives have faulty firmware, so I need comments from real-life before buying.

I can't speak specifically to Viking II's, but I can tell you that Quantum
is permanently off our purchase list.  We've had nearly 100% failure rates
on them, only Micropolis was worse.  Our favorites are IBM, then Seagate.
It's astounding how cool the IBM drives run, the Quantums nearly burn your
hand while the IBMs are barely above room temp.