Date:      Wed, 19 May 1999 23:29:43 +0930
From:      Matthew Thyer <thyerm@camtech.com.au>
To:        "Carlos C. Tapang" <ctapang@easystreet.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SUMMARY: why you cant use FBSDBOOT.EXE anymore (Was: Re: FBSDBOOT.EXE)

The problem is that recent versions of MS-DOS (version 7 and above ?
...definitely the DOS that comes with Windows 98 and I think the DOS
with Windows 95 under some circumstances) change various vectors which
destroy FBSDBOOTs ability to work (this is because there is no way to
determine where these vectors used to point and the original addresses
are required for correct operation of either FBSDBOOT or the kernel/
loader).

What I do know is that at least some older versions of MS-DOS do not
do this.

Therefore it *MAY* be possible to make a DOS 6.0, 6.20 or even 6.22
boot floppy which runs FBSDBOOT.EXE to boot your a.out FreeBSD kernel
and hence the whole system.

Hopefully now that Carlos Tapang has updated FBSDBOOT.EXE for ELF, such
a boot floppy could boot a 3.1, 3.2 or -CURRENT system.

Unfortunately the project cannot guarantee anything when you are booting
from another vendor's operating system (such as MS-DOS) so its a lot
easier to say that FBSDBOOT.EXE has been retired.   Given the number of
different DOSes that exist, that's an entirely understandable policy.

I hope this clears things up (and adds a good summary to the archives).

"Carlos C. Tapang" wrote:

> Mike, Thanks for trying fbsdboot.exe. I need more information to fix it. I
> would like to fix it, so please describe exactly what the problem is. What
> do you mean by the "need to reboot the system to restore various vectors
> that DOS destroys"? Do you mean that prior to executing the FreeBSD kernel
> init routines, DOS does something to the loaded area? I'm sorry I can't find
> any info on this either in the mail threads or in freebsd.org. Probably I'm
> not looking hard enough, but I believe it would be more efficient to just
> ask you.
>
> Carlos C. Tapang
> http://www.genericwindows.com

| Work: Matthew.Thyer@dsto.defence.gov.au | Home: thyerm@camtech.net.au |
"If it is true that our Universe has a zero net value for all conserved
quantities, then it may simply be a fluctuation of the vacuum of some
larger space in which our Universe is imbedded. In answer to the
question of why it happened, I offer the modest proposal that our
Universe is simply one of those things which happen from time to time."
 E. P. Tryon   from "Nature" Vol.246 Dec.14, 1973