Date:      Thu,  7 Sep 2000 09:31:37 +0100 (BST)
From:      newman@ukonline.co.uk
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   boot freebsd partition from boot floppy

I have installed Freebsd 4.1 release. I chose not to install the freebsd boot loader because I have a large disc drive
with IBM on-track disc manager, a DDO (dynamic driver overlay)  product which helps dos recognise and boot large
partitions, and my experience with Linux is that this gets overwritten if I install LILO. I want to boot Freebsd by using a boot
floppy that would ideally contain just the first part of the bootstrap process, leaving the kernel in my bootable freebsd /
partition (/dev/ad1s2) which is below cylinder 1024 on that disc. Aside from that partition I have some other freebsd
partitions on /dev/ad0 which are above cylinder 1024 on that disc.

How I can accomplish this? At present I cannot boot freebsd but I do have the install CDrom. Is there a way of creating a
boot floppy from booting the install CD-rom and using the post-install configuration options or some other options, or will I
need first to make freebsd bootable from the HDD and then make a boot floppy, then re-install the DDO?