Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2001 01:17:44 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>, "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jeremiah@sherline.com>
Cc:        <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Microsoft Advocacy?

Andrew writes:

> This mailing list is called freebsd-advocacy.
> That has nothing to do with Microsoft, therefore
> Microsoft discussion and traffic should be
> considered off topic.  Or am I incorrect in
> making that assumption?

Yes, I believe you are.  It's extremely difficult to discuss any kind of
advocacy for one OS without mentioning any other OS.  Or are you suggesting
that it should by okay to mention other operating systems--as long as they
aren't sold by Microsoft?  In the latter case, please explain why you feel
this way.  In the former case, please explain what sort of advocacy
discussions you can suggest that do not mention any of the competition.

Since Microsoft is the major competitor to FreeBSD on the desktop (and in
the non-UNIX server market, although it is far weaker there), it is
inevitable that Microsoft will be mentioned in any attempt to advocate
FreeBSD.

> And I agree with you there.  However, one person's
> uneducated opinion should not be trumpted as the
> voice of truth here.

I agree; but you should still be free to express it.

> I use 98, not because I think it's a better operating
> system, but because I enjoy playing some entertainment
> titles that simply don't work properly without it.

If these titles won't work properly without it, then it would seem that it
is the best operating system for those titles, no?

> I'm in the process of setting up my FreeBSD
> workstation for doing real work ...

What sort of work is that?

Do you run any FreeBSD servers?

> However, when one person's posts have nothing to
> do but trumpet Microsoft and downplay FreeBSD...
> makes you wonder, doesn't it?

And vice versa, although it usually isn't necessary to wonder for very long.