Date:      Wed, 23 Jun 1999 14:16:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        "Brian F. Feldman" <green@unixhelp.org>
Cc:        Doug <Doug@gorean.org>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New ATA stuff, questions and comment

On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, Brian F. Feldman wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, Doug wrote:
>
> > 	First a question, namely what is the current state of the ATA
> > drivers in -current? Are they reliable (where "reliable" goes by -current
> > terms obviously)? I finally am in a position to test them with a new
> > workstation that has IDE disks, so I thought I'd give it a go.
>
> For me, it's very reliable. It even supports Ultra DMA 2 mode! And of course,
> I'm happy with the atapi-fd driver :) See:

	Great news, thanks.

> A device name isn't necessarily the same as a device node, you know.

	Actually I do know that, but I've never come across a situation in
freebsd where I would call something one thing in my kernel config file
and something else in /dev. If you are saying that I ought to include
atapicd in my kernel config and use the acdN device node, that's all I
need to know, but it does bring up the question of why the two things are
different. It seems like unecessary obfuscation to me.

Thanks for your response,

Doug
--
On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only
nation in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter