Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 2003 18:55:15 -0500
From:      taxman <taxman@acd.net>
To:        Gary D Kline <kline@thought.org>, "Aas, Eskild" <eskildaas@hsbs.mil.no>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.4 Questions

On Wednesday 26 February 2003 12:13 pm, Gary D Kline wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 08:34:26AM +0100, Aas, Eskild wrote:
> > Dear Sirs
> >

> > We are three students attending Hærens Ingeniørhøgskole (the norwegian
> > millitary engineering school). We are currently working on an assignment
> > about operating systems. We are writing about FreeBSD 4.4. We would like
> > to know if you can help us find , or tell us where we can find
> > information about these following subjects:
> >
> > *	OS structure
> > *	Process-handling
> > *	CPU-handling
> > *	Memory-handling
> > *	Filesystem (implementation)
> > *	I/O structure
> > *	Security

Uh, hi.  You're asking someone else to do your work for you.  An online
tradition, but a questionable one in terms of what you'll learn.
There is a lot of information on that in the FreeBSD Handbook and the
developers handbook, both available from the FreeBSD.org site.
The real details of that information exists only in the brains of the
developers and to an extent in the mailing list archives.  The -hackers and
-current mailing lists are especially know for the detailed conerstions on
topics like those.

> > We would be very greatfull if we could get this information as soon as
> > possible, because this assignment is due 03.07.03 (Next Friday)
>
> 	For an in-depth view of most of your topics you might want to
> 	study "The Design and Implementation of the 4.3BSD UNIX
> 	Operating System" by Kirk McKusick et al.  (There is probably
> 	a "4.4BSD" version by now; you'll need to google around.)

Gary is this a joke?  "The Design and Implementation of the 4.4BSD Operating
System" by McKusik et al.  was published in 1996.  4.4BSD is what FreeBSD 1.0
and later (along with NetBSD, and therefore later OpenBSD) were based on.
The 4.3BSD version of the book came out a year or so before that.
	Though much in FreeBSD has changed since those books were published, they
remain an excellent introduction to the concepts that underly FreeBSD.  The
implementations have nearly all changed.
There were rumors that Kirk was writing an updated FreeBSD version of the
book, but my guess was the profitability of it was questioned.  Kirk sells
courses and tapes, and I'm sure does well with them.
 http://www.mckusick.com/courses/index.html
with among other things a course on "FreeBSD Kernel Internals: An Intensive
Code Walkthrough"  tm

Tim