Date:      Fri, 6 Feb 98 09:12:39 -0500
From:      Rob Levandowski <robl@phoebe.accinet.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        <davidg@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Matt Stein" <matt@ican.net>
Subject:   Re: Year 2000 compliance statement?

On 2/5/98 10:08 PM, Jordan K. Hubbard (jkh@time.cdrom.com) wrote:
>I find it truly inexplicable that you would take the response from
>some random person on the mailing list and extrapolate all of this
>from it.  I can only conclude that you must be having a bad day since
>your conclusions otherwise defy all logic and I honest don't know what
>to make of them.

If you were to look at the "Contacting FreeBSD" web page, which is
reached by clicking on the link "questions@freebsd.org" at the bottom of
the main FreeBSD web page, you should note that nowhere does the page
hint that the <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org> address sends to a public
list.

Given FreeBSD's nature, and that I knew there were mailing list
instructions on another page, I presumed that this address was more
restricted.  Hence, when I got back that first message, whose phrasing
implied that it was from someone empowered to speak for the team, I was
upset.

>Again, these conclusions leave me flabbergasted.  If you make such
>sweeping decisions based on so little input then I can honestly only
>conclude that we'd have found it impossible to work with you in any
>case, no matter how the question might have been answered to begin
>with.

[and under seperate cover,]
>Thanks for clearing that aspect of this up.  Nonetheless, it may have
>served some useful purpose in getting the recipient to show his true
>colors. :-)

I have gotten several constructive and helpful replies from other people
on the list.  After receiving the second reply, it was obvious that I had
sent to a list.

On the other hand, I do tend to feel that your response above begs the
question.  The FreeBSD web pages, and its supporters, make a case that
FreeBSD is a reasonable alternative to commercial workstations, even in
corporate environments.  It seems to me that the FreeBSD team wants to be
taken seriously.  As an end-user, I don't want to be told to "shove it,"
nor do I want snide personal comments in response to complaint.

Your response, which takes the tack of maligning my character and
questioning my faculties, doesn't make me think the FreeBSD team is
looking to be taken seriously.  That's especially true in light of your
position as "Public Relations and Corporate Liasion," as the Web pages
state.

In my current position, I don't have the time to be an OS hacker.  I need
the best tool for the job, and to date, that tool has been FreeBSD for a
few jobs.  However, the degree and nature of support is a big part of
being the "best tool."  If I go to my bosses and say "when I reacted with
shock and upset to being told, essentially, to 'shove it' when requesting
a Y2K statement, I was told by the team's purported number-one public
contact that I was defying logic, acting inexplicably, and that I was
probably impossible to work with," neither they nor I are going to hear
"best tool for the job."  That result would be logical and very
explicable.

Robert Levandowski
UNIX Systems Administrator
ACC TeleCom