Date:      Sun, 7 Jul 2002 21:42:29 -0700
From:      David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Frank Mayhar <frank@exit.com>
Cc:        Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>, Dave Uhring <duhring@charter.net>, Jason Porter <leporter@xmission.com>, freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Better to make XFree86-4 when XFree86-3 isn't running?

Thus spake Frank Mayhar <frank@exit.com>:
> I'm using a Radeon 8500 128MB card.  I had problems with 4.2.0 (it worked
> but a few things were a tad flaky, especially Xvideo), but I've been updating
> from the XFree86 CVS tree and it is working better and better.

Yes, but this issue is orthogonal to the earlier comment.  Dave
complained about old cards no longer being supported in recent
versions of XFree86.  You're complaining about new cards for which
the drivers still have bugs.  The distinction is important because
Rage Pro owners can always go back to 3.3.6, whereas Radeon 8500
owners are unlikely to find better support in older versions of X.