Date:      Sun, 21 Nov 1999 01:21:59 +1030 (CST)
From:      "Daniel J. O'Connor" <darius@dons.net.au>
To:        Richard Johnson <raj@cisco.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, Duncan Barclay <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk>, wwoods@cybcon.com
Subject:   RE: Cellular modem on a Thinkpad

On 20-Nov-99 Richard Johnson wrote:
>  Asking Qualcomm about it, I received a canned response which didn't
>  really directly address my questions, but it seemed to be hinting that
>  maybe I saw nothing because my phone hadn't been "enabled" for their
>  type of data communication.  Apparently this is a service which costs
>  somewhere around $4/month.  I'm guessing that if you haven't signed up
>  for the service, then the modem part doesn't work?  Or maybe there's
>  some special code which has to be sent to the phone to enable it?

For Nokia 5110/6110 etc phones, you need to hold DTR and RTS high so that the
adapter will be powered (these 2 lines run to a low dropout regulator which
powers a 3.3v RS232 converter.
(At least thats what the diag. on this 'build your own' cable page says :)

No idea if this is possible without writting your own custom comms program
though.

---
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum