Date:      Tue, 16 Nov 1999 09:53:54 +1100 (EST)
From:      Rowan Crowe <rowan@sensation.net.au>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fsck and dropping to single luser mode problems.

On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, Barkley Vowk wrote:

> I'm having a big nightmare with several co-located boxen dropping to
> single user mode on a reboot if the filesystems have the slightest
> problem, this is a REAL big deal because it means I have to drop
> everything and drive across town to clean up the FS and reboot the box. I
> was wondering if someone had a patch for the startup or an idea to keep
> this from happening? I'm not sure if it would be in my best interest to
> just force the box to mount the filesystems, but I can't keep doing this..
> its not a good deal during midterms.

I'm not sure if the default behaviour has changed, but in 2.x it seemed to
only drop to single user mode if there was a serious problem that the
redundancy built into the file system couldn't automatically
repair/recover. In fact 'man fsck' discusses this in some detail, now that
I look...

If it's dropping to single user mode then it's a relatively serious
problem that cannot be repaired without some decision, I'm not sure that
you would want to try to quietly ignore this - a missing (removed due to
file system damage) or corrupted config/executable file could cause some
very strange and hard to trace events to happen further down the track.

Cheers.

--
Rowan Crowe                              http://www.rowan.sensation.net.au/
Sensation Internet Services                    http://www.sensation.net.au/