Date:      Wed, 18 Nov 1998 19:16:06 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Trying to delete /usr/obj, but _she_ won't let me :-(

David Langford writes:
> Pål Sommerhein
> >I did
> >  # rm -rf /usr/obj
> >but I got 'permissioned denied messages' for these three files:
> >(a recursive listing is provided at the end of the mail)
> >
> >May I delete these files?  And if so, how do I proceed?
>
> # rm -fr /usr/obj/*
> # chflags -R noschg /usr/obj
> # rm -fr /usr/obj/*

Thought I'd chime in and say the above is the same order I do it too.
There is no point in traversing the entire huge directory tree trying
to chflags files that don't need it. Just grin and bear the messages
the first "rm -rf" generates, or "rm -rf /usr/obj/* >& /dev/null".

After the first "rm -rf" the chflags and second "rm -rf" go very
quickly.