Date:      Sat, 21 Jun 1997 20:41:17 -0400
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        adam@veda.is, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: getty modem control

> You can't reliably run the computer-modem rate at a higher rate
> that the modem-modem rate.  Conversely, you can't reliably run
> the modem-modem rate at a higher rate than the computer-modem
> rate.

That's news to me; I routinely ran a serial port at 38.4 kb/s with
CTS/RTS hardware flow control with a V.32 (14.4kb/s) modem, and it
worked just fine.  As I was using it for SLIP, I knew there were no
overruns because there were no IP, TCP or UDP checksum errors.

> This is because of issues of bufferring, and when common UART
> chips trigger interrupts relative to their FIFO size.

I do not dispute broken hardware, but it's not all universally busted.

> The last modem you could reliably run at differential speeds was
> the original MNP Microcom modems; they had huge buffers.

This was on a ZyXEL 1496 modem.

> Link-level compression is evil anyway; compression belongs on
> the host side of the host UART so that the datarate is not
> limited by the serial port rate.

I disagree.  Given that the modem is already doing V.42 link-level
reliablity, it fits in very nicely with it's segmentation.

louie