Date:      Thu, 16 Jul 1998 14:07:30 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Fook Sheng <fschan@capgemini.com.sg>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: /var is full

On Thursday, 16 July 1998 at 12:01:32 +0800, Fook Sheng wrote:
> Hi
>
> Can anyone please advice and help me on this:
>
> I have FreeBSD 2.2.6 running samba, and I got a message on the console
> telling me that /var is full. What should I do?? It came to be 109%
> utilised.

Well, you have two options:

1.  Remove some files from it.
2.  Enlarge it.

It's up to you to make the decision.  First you need to go in there
and look at what files you have.  You might consider starting with du
or ls -l:

  # du /var | more

This will tell you the sizes of each individual directory.  You can
then go and look at what's in there, and why.

  # ls -lR /var | more

This will show you the size of each individual file.

Greg